The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) began issuing the new TWIC NexGen cards on July 10, 2018. The new cards incorporate enhanced security features (click here to read more).
Details about the new TWIC NexGen card:
- Current TWIC card holders do not need to replace a valid TWIC card with the new TWIC card design.
- Regulated entities that require TWIC for access will accept and recognize both the current and new TWIC designs until the card’s expiration.
- The new card design is compatible with qualified TWIC readers.
- To deter alteration of the card’s expiration date, the new card includes a color-coded expiration date box that will update on an annual basis.
- The fee for the newly re-designed TWIC card remains unchanged ($125.25) and the credential is valid for five years.
Click here to read more about the TWIC NexGen cards.